This week's recipe swap theme was Mexican, and I got this recipe for Cheese Enchilada Casserole from Alida of Alida's Kitchen. It was very easy to make, with only a few ingredients, and although I would definititely increase the amount of cheese (at least double), it tasted really good! I'm not usually a fan of cheese enchiladas, I prefer beef or chicken, but these were good enough to be put into rotation - you should try them!
Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
Source: Alida's Kitchen
- 1 cup (8 oz) fat free cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 6" corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix first 6 ingredients, through chili powder, in bowl. [This step can be done in advance]
- Place 3 corn tortillas in baking dish. Top tortillas with 1/2 of cheese mixture. Repeat. Top final layer with 3 corn tortillas.
- Pour taco sauce over tortillas and top with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.