I realize that I am a 31-year-old woman, but my pallet still craves the food that I loved as a kid and chicken tenders is thing that I don't think I will ever outgrow. I remember ordering them on a date once, and they guy asked me, "Seriously?" and I told him, "Yes, I like chicken tenders!" I mean, come on...who doesn't like a crispy, juicy strip of chicken?? Just sayin'.
I have found numerous amazing recipes on Jessica's blog, How Sweet It Is, and she is a girl after my own food heart in so many ways. I love reading her stories and seeing her gorgeous food pics. And of course, getting great recipes to try! You should definitely swing by and check her out if you haven't already.
These chicken strips were easy to make, and tasted delicious! The recipe makes two servings. I ate them both. Don't judge, they were good! They remind me very much of the Mustard-Maple Baked Chicken that I've made on several occasions...so insanely delicious, and sure to please children and adults alike.
Maple Mustard Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Source: How Sweet It Is
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders*
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used Italian Seasoned)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, maple syrup, mustard and garlic. Place chicken to a baking dish and pour buttermilk mixture over top to coat. Let soak for 4-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, combine panko, bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper and ground mustard.
- Remove each chicken tender from the buttermilk and dip in breadcrumbs, gently pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack. Spray each with a mist of olive oil or nonstick spray. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from over, gently flip and mist with spray, then bake for 10-12 minutes more.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauce - honey mustard is a good option :)