A couple of weeks ago, our Daring Bakers challenge was for quick breads, and I posted Green Onion, Cheddar & Asiago Beer Batter Bread. But, when the challenge was first given to us, I had a hard time choosing just one of the breads to make. So, I made two. How could I, lover of all things lemon, not make the Meyer Lemon Loaf??? That is just absurd to think of. Hmph. And now that warmer weather is creeping in again, I think of Spring and Summer, and refreshing lemon treats, so I just had to share this one with you!
I wasn't sure how it would turn out, and I will definitely be trying it again because I think I needed to cook it a little longer, but it turned out great! Not too sweet, and full of lemony goodness. I suggest you try this....immediately.
Meyer Lemon Loaf
Source: Recipe Girl
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 3 medium Meyer lemons
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 9 tablespoons butter (1 stick + 1 tablespoon), melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium Meyer Lemon (juice only)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2 8-inch loaf pans.
- Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Place sugar and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl, and rub together until the sugar is lemon-scented and a bit clumpy.
- Add the eggs and beat with a whisk until the mixture is a light lemon color and thickened a bit. Whisk in sour cream, then salt, then rum and lemon juice.
- Gently whisk in the flour in four parts, then whisk in the butter in three parts. You'll have a thick, pourable batter flecked with lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While the loaves are baking, prepare simple syrup. Boil together sugar and water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.
- Turn the loaves out of their pans onto a cooling rack and brush liberally with the lemon syrup, repeat brushing as you feel necessary. Let cool.