At first I was like, Hmm...I don't really have one favorite dessert that I can recall being a childhood favorite. I just sort of love them all. But then I was taken back to a specific moment when I was about 4 years old...a moment that I actually think of now and then...in a shopping center (doctor's office seems to ring a bell) on a summer day and we stopped to get an ice cream cone. My flavor of choice (still, to this very day) was Mint Chocolate Chip. I don't remember why we got the ice cream or what we were doing that day, but I can see the picture in my head clear as day. I've loved that ice cream flavor for as far back as I have memories, so it seemed only right that my selection for this challenge be in tribute to that very dessert.
So, I went out in search of a recipe that would modernize my cherished ice cream. And I found this. Holy crap. Not only is it mint chocolate, but it incorporates my other much loved dessert...cheesecake!! It was meant to be y'all. It just was. Now J would say that I have worked too hard the past 6 months to eat such things, but I would say to him...I love you honey and I appreciate you looking out for my good health but I have worked so hard the past 6 months so I can eat such things. On occasion. :) Then I take the rest to work to save myself from devouring every last crumb. Because I easily could. Rich, fudgy chocolate brownies, swirled with minty cheesecake filling. Yep, I could die a happy woman stuffed full of these babies. But I practice self-control instead. Begrudgingly, of course. I want to eat them all!!
Instead I share them with you and hope to live vicariously through your eating adventures as well. Tell me how you love them, 'k??
Mint Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Source: Sally's Baking Addiction
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 8 oz coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (I used 1 Bakers Baking Bar)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp extract*
- 2 drops green food coloring*
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
*You can add additional drops of extract and/or food coloring if the flavor or color is not to your liking. Only add 1 drop at a time to reach your desired outcome.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray and 11 x 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set out 8 ounces of cream cheese for the cheesecake layer and allow to soften as you prepare the brownies.
- Melt the butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. If you don't have 15 minutes to spare, you can set it in the fridge for quicker cooling.
- Stir sugar into cooled chocolate/butter mixture until fully combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt and then pour all but 1/4 cup of the batter into prepared pan.
- To make the mint cheesecake, place the softened cream cheese into the bowl of a stand mixer (or other bowl if you will be using a hand mixer). Add 1/4 cup of sugar, egg yolk, mint extract and food coloring and mix on medium speed until smooth and fully combined, about 1 minute. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter and then cover with the reserved 1/4 cup of brownie batter.
- Take a butter knife and "drag" it through the layers (side-to-side, or however you like) to create a swirl pattern. Top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.